Saturday, June 19, 2010

Vacation recap: Future projects

So here I am, back from my week-long secret surprise birthday trip, visiting Lara and Jeanette. (and Cat and Will, and Jenny and Karlene.... A lot of my friends live there now) It was, of course, delightful fun. I mostly hung around their apartment and played video games, or watched people play video games. I don't get to do that very often, and I find it very relaxing and fun. The best game I played was Portal, which I actually finished! (Well, it is a very short game) I am now recommending it to everyone I know. Also finished Machinarium and the first Half of Fable two. The trip back was hellish, what with the waiting three hours in the rain for the Bus, but I survived and am back at home.

In dilettante news, I am still thinking about doll making, and have a ton of paperclay to play around with. The creative kind, not the ceramic kind, for those who care to know. Also, while visiting, Lara and I started a webcomic. We were hanging at a coffee shop (ok, a starbucks) and doodling to waste time before meeting up with Cat and Will, and we crafted a story about people working in a bookshop. I admit, I thought that was the end of it, but Lara got really excited and cajoled me into drafting eight pages, which she drew and inked. The plan is for me to do most of the writing, and then the final coloring and lettering.

I admit I was a bit slow to warm up to the idea, having so many ideas of my own, and feeling like I was doing the boring parts. But then I got to thinking.... Maybe this is good for me? Having someone to answer to so I actually work on something? Since I'm not so emotionally invested in the project a lot of the fear of failure is missing. I think I might just get to coloring those eight pages....

Also, SUPER EXCITING job interview Monday! It's the job I've really wanted since I saw it posted on craigslist, and actually involves my skill-set and my degree. Woo-hoo! I need to get an interview outfit together, henna my hair so the roots don't show, maybe get a haircut, and most importantly, put together a stellar portfolio. I hope this leads to exciting places!